You are Here > My Money > Sole proprietor vs private company: which should you choose?

Sole proprietor vs private company: which should you choose?

Jan 25, 2021

By Ruan van Jaarsveld, Manager at Hobbs Sinclair Advisory.

Sole proprietor vs private company: which should you choose?Many South Africans have recently found themselves feeling the need to venture into business outside of the formal, corporate framework. Reasons for this vary, from being retrenched from a salaried position to having to supplement employment income with another income stream.

Most new business ventures start out as sole proprietorships, the simplest form of business entity. But is a sole proprietor the best entity to run a small business and what should you consider before setting up a private company for your business?


The administrative costs to set up a private company and to maintain company secretarial as well as financial reporting requirements should not be underestimated.

A good benchmark is that at least 3% of a company’s annual turnover should be spent on maintaining and reporting of financial and administrative systems to ensure compliance and accuracy of the financial information.

Many small businesses see financial and admin requirements as an unnecessary evil and neglect this expense. This leads to inaccurate and outdated information being used in decision-making – a proven recipe for corporate suicide.

Risk and financial liability

In a sole proprietor structure, the business is run in the name of the owner. There is thus no distinction or separation between the assets and liabilities of the owner and the assets and liabilities of the business.

Taking on any form of risk in the furtherance of a sole proprietorship, whether that is financial risk in the form of loan financing or product risk in the form of selling products that could lead to the business being sued, could lead to the owner being held personally liable for the liabilities of the business.

A private company takes the form of a separate legal entity and thus limits the personal liability that its owners (shareholders) could be subjected to.


It may also be favourable for a sole proprietor to switch to a private company to enable the business to register for VAT. This arrangement could create a benefit for the company by allowing the company to claim input VAT on vatable expenses incurred.

It is, however, very important to consider the VAT status of your target market. Once a company is registered for VAT, it has to charge output VAT of 15% on any taxable supplies (sales) it makes.

While customers who are registered for VAT may in turn claim this 15% back as input VAT, non-VAT registered customers would not be allowed to claim input VAT and would practically experience an increase in your selling price of 15%.

It is mandatory for a business to register for VAT if the total value of taxable supplies made in any consecutive 12-month period exceeded or is likely to exceed R1 million.

A business may also choose to register voluntarily for VAT if the value of taxable supplies made or to be made is less than R1 million, but has exceeded R50 000 in the preceding 12 months.

Income Tax

Income earned by a sole proprietor is included in the taxable income of the individual owner of the business. This means that the business income is taxed, along with the owner’s other forms of income, according to the sliding scale of income tax rates applicable to individuals:

Individual income tax table

Private companies are subject to South Africa’s corporate tax rate of 28%, irrespective of the amount of taxable income earned by the company.

From the above you can gather that, once the taxable income earned by your business exceeds approx. R660 000, it would be more tax efficient to form a company and be liable for tax at 28% of the taxable income earned.

SARS provides further relief for small business in the form of Small Business Corporations (SBC) tax. To qualify as an SBC, a company must comply with the following requirements:

  1. All shareholders are natural persons.
  2. All shareholders hold no shares in any other private company.
  3. All members hold no members’ interest in any other Close Corporation.
  4. Gross income for the year of assessment does not exceed R20 million.
  5. Not more than 20% of the gross income and all the capital gains consist collectively of investment income and income rendering a personal service.

It is important to note that a personal service company includes most freelance services and “any service in the field of accounting, actuarial science, architecture, auctioneering, auditing, broadcasting, consulting, draughtsmanship, education, engineering, financial service broking, health, information technology, journalism, law, management, real estate broking, research, sport, surveying, translation, valuation or veterinary science, which is performed personally by any person who holds an interest in the company or Close Corporation, except where such small business corporation employs three or more unconnected full-time employees for core operations.”

Any of these types of businesses would not qualify as an SBC in terms of tax.

SARS applies the following sliding scale of rates to companies that qualify as SBCs:

SBC tax tables

With the favourable tax rates applicable to SBCs compared to the tax rates applicable to individuals, it would be very tax efficient to switch any business that qualifies as an SBC from a sole proprietor to a private company.

This article was written by By Ruan van Jaarsveld, Manager at Hobbs Sinclair Advisory.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Maya Fisher-French author of Money Questions Answered

Previous Articles

Inside a cryptocurrency scam

Social media networks are being used to lure people into a cryptocurrency scam. A sophisticated social media network is being used to con South Africans by claiming to generate huge returns through trading. The network is made up of 300 fake twitter accounts...

Working from home? You can claim from SARS

Elani van der Westhuizen, senior tax technical at TaxTim, explains what you can claim from SARS if you've been working from home. There's some good news for you if you’ve been working from home for the past year. You can claim a tax deduction if you worked from home...

Video: Set goals for money success

The key to achieving our money goals is to use psychology to set us up for success. When it comes to our money goals, behavioural economist Erik Vermeulen says we need to set specific long-term goals, but also have built-in intermediate success measures to make our...

Anger over high-cost investment products

A blame-game is starting with complaints about overpaid financial advisers and expensive product options. Readers have provided numerous examples of high-cost investment products sold by advisers working for large insurance firms. Clients are angry about high fees and...

Finding a more equitable credit model

The Save2Buy model is a hybrid between a lay-by and more traditional credit. In a world where credit has become a way of life, is it possible to find a system that allows someone to purchase an item and have use of it whilst paying it off, but without being fleeced by...

Can you bag a cheap deal on an overseas holiday?

Taking an overseas holiday is still possible but this can come at great risk to travellers’ pockets, finds Angelique Ruzicka. Differing social distancing rules and travel bans imposed by countries and airlines have done much to disrupt the global travel industry,...

Listen: Investigating crypto scams

In this My Money, My Lifestyle podcast we delve into the world of crypto scams which seem to be mushrooming everywhere, despite repeated warnings from our authorities. How do these crypto scams work? How do people get lured into parting with their hard-earned cash?...

Video: Understand your electricity bill

The cost of electricity will increase by 15% in April. That is triple the rate of inflation which means a bigger portion of our budget will go to paying for electricity. It is worth taking the time to understand how your electricity is charged for and to find ways to...

When does it make sense to have a travel allowance?

If you are required to travel for work there are several ways to claim for this expense. You can receive a travel allowance or be provided with a company car. In the case of a travel allowance, the employer would normally pay a set amount, for example R5 000 a month....

FSCA issues crypto health warning

The FSCA wants to warn the public that if something goes wrong with your crypto investment, you are not likely to get your money back and will have no recourse against anyone. The Financial Sector Conduct Authority (FSCA) has noted with concern the increasing volume...

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This